

Minutes from Showstoppers' Committee Meeting 2015

22nd April 2015, 2pm in 7/3027

Expected

SK – Sevan Keoshgerian (President)
BW – Ben Willcocks (Vice-President)
AB – Andy Banks (Secretary)
AM – Angry Morgan (Treasurer)
PJ – Phoebe Judd (Social Secretary)
JH – Jess Hector (Development Officer)
CL – Cat Lewis (Tours Officer)
LE – Lydia Edge (Ordinary Member)
DM – Danny McNamee (Ordinary Member)

Apologies & Absences

CH – Charlie House (Webmaster & Promotions Officer) – Apologies (Ill)
JM – Jamie Martin (Development Officer) – Absent (Ill-timed Nap)

Non-Committee Present

RJ – Robin Johnson
RF – Robyn Fryer
PB – Peter Bridgwood
AFC – Alyssa Fox-Charles
GM – Georgia Meredith
TP – Trini Philip
JC – Josh Cox

Agenda

I. HANDOVERS

SK: Hello everyone!

Lacklustre response, these people really are silly

SK: So this is the committee of this year, so Hi new people, and welcome back to almost all of old committee! Let's begin. Handovers, have you done them?

CL: Well, I can't because the guy who I'm meant to have my handover from is never available and won't talk with me.

Hahahahaha massive SHADE

CL: Seriously though, instead of a normal sit down handover, I'm now on the Edinburgh sub-committee so I can learn the ropes.

AM: Me and Peter have done ours, we just need to sign the account off so I have access.

PJ: I haven't done mine yet as Fi is busy with her dissertation, but after that's handed in we can.

LE: Danny and I had a nice chat in the Bridge with Alyssa and Cat.

AB: I found the piece of paper from my handover last year, so does that count?

Awkward silence, I weep inside as I realise how unfunny I am

GM: Development have done theirs.

SK: Me and Ben had ours.

AFC: Also, we have been through the handbook individually and are probably just gonna hand it straight over to you, some things aren't quite the same with the new constitution, but generally it is a very useful resource for Freshers, rights, auditions and pitches etc, I think it should be something that is used by the society as it is full of everything.

Phoebe will handover with Fi after her dissertation is done – Good Luck by the way Fi!

II. INTRODUCTION TO COMMITTEE

SK: Hi, this is the introduction to committee, does everyone know what they're doing?

Apparently so!

TP JH & BW enter

AB: Look, you can have food! There's gluten free biscuits, and tearable brioche, and everything.

III. EDINBURGH UPDATE

SK: Dogfight update, Robin?

RJ: Uh yeah, so basically there's not a lot we can do right now, we've got a venue and time, and are going to have rehearsals Friday evenings for the rest of term, we can work through exams as it'll always be at least 2 days away from the next exam, there's stuff which I guess you know, it's all good, just organising band and previews now.

SK: And Cooper update?

AB: That'll be Robin again!

RJ: Cooper are running open auditions this week for up to 2 more chorus parts, they've also got a venue and timeslot, they're also organising their show and they've almost finished writing with a readthrough next week, uh yeah that's it.

SK: So as you've heard we've got venues, Dogfight are in C Too, Cooper are in C Cubed, and we like the times. I'm sorting accommodation with the sub-committee, we are having meetings

BW: I don't know how late you can leave it, but isn't it gonna be tough to find it now?

SK: Yeah, we're working on it

RJ: We booked in June last year and it was pretty cheap

SK: And err fundraising, we're gonna organise a meeting next week

AB: We need prod team members there

AM: And we need lots and lots of money

PB: I have been thinking, we won't have enough money for cash-flow so we may need to look at underwriting one of the shows for cash flow reasons

Ahhhh help! Edinburgh why you so expensive??!

SK: So, any ideas?

CL: Does everyone know what the new system is?

Yeah-huh. Good pre-committee reading people, good job.

PB: I want to underwrite because of the cash flow. The Interim system underwrites it for £500, and will only take 50% and up to £500 maximum. Other than that it works the same as before but takes less money. If you want to secure rights for shows pitched soon, we could end up in a deficit of up to £2000.

SK: So we need to meet about that tomorrow.

PB: The one I'd suggest to underwrite would be Craft, not because I'm less confident in it but for other reasons that I will explain

SK: So we need to have a meeting tomorrow, with prod team members from both shows, me, Peter, Angry and the Sub-Committee maybe?

SK to arrange a meeting about Edinburgh underwriting tomorrow with AM, PB and whoever else he can get from production teams and sub-committee.

IV. DROWSY CHAPERONE FEEDBACK

Sev calls on Robyn a few times before she notices.

RF: Sorry, I'm not very awake at the moment, erm I've written it all out, how do you wanna do it? Do you want me to just read it out now?

Yepiree.

[Direction, Musical Direction and Choreography](#)

Everyone on the creative team was highly commended by Audience, Crew and Cast for the amazingly positive atmosphere they brought to the show. It was clear from the comments that the team were very tight-knit and brought their friendly and open attitude into both the rehearsal process and show week. In particular, audience members commented on the particularly ambitious nature of the blocking, and how some brave decisions made the show thoroughly engaging to watch.

The cast commented that Robin and Andy were a joy to work with, setting clear objectives and "straddling the line between hard work and fun impeccably" during rehearsals. They were said to be present in almost every rehearsal, being a continuous positive force even when the rehearsal was purely for vocals or dance. It was noted that they also tried wherever possible to take on cast feedback regarding breaks and rehearsal times, giving a relaxed feel to rehearsals.

It was stated that Honor didn't necessarily have much say in direction directly when blocking scenes, but her energy and character work with members of the principle cast more than made up for it. She was thanked for her continuous encouragement throughout.

The only small negative that was mentioned was that at some points the rehearsals felt somewhat rushed. Whether this was to do with rights issues or a lack of organisation it is unclear, but the main message is that it did not affect the show as a whole and is possibly just something that Robin and Andy may need to be aware of in future shows.

The MD team were also praised, with particular mention often going to Joe and Megan who were seen as a tremendous support network for the cast. Their humble and sweet nature shining through consistently when teaching some very tricky group numbers. The recording of the harmonies by Becky was also thought to be invaluable for learning such a complex show in a small time window.

Alyssa and Michael were credited with pulling off 'some of the best and most ambitious choreography in Showstopper history', and similarly to the rest of the production team were commented to have wonderful attitudes in rehearsals. It is clear that Michael has grown as a Choreographer and is 'an asset to Showstoppers'. Alyssa in particular was noted to go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure the cast were comfortable with the routines.

Production

Overall, the production was seen to be very effective. The very clearly defined roles of each producer meant that the show was successfully publicised and brought in great audiences every night. Personally, Danny, Andy and David were mentioned to be very mature and handling their jobs with ease even when there was cast/production team overlap. Felicia was the most emphatically spoken about member of the team, summed up by the quote; "Felicia – wow, just wow". Every single member of the cast and crew mentioned Fliss in a positive light, stating that her ability to source costumes and organise props was second to none. Even when there were hiccups, she dealt with them efficiently and professionally, showing so much dedication to the show.

The time constraints on the rehearsal process meant that time with props was limited, and costumes came at the last minute, but because of the commitment of the producers none of this was seen to be a significant problem and certainly not a fault on their part.

Cast

The audience were impressed by the casts fluidity on stage and their ability to work together to create a fully rounded piece. The strong friendships, both old and new were clear throughout the rehearsal process and the show itself, motivating and helping each other through an intensive rehearsal period. There was comments made towards a couple of cast members who seemed to have a bad attitude in some of the rehearsals, bringing down the good mood set out by Robin and Andy. However, all of these comments were followed with how this issue was dealt with discreetly by the production team, talking to the individuals alone and sorting the problem from its roots. This was seen to resolve the problems, and lift the moral of the cast once again.

It was noted, even by the members themselves, that the cast could be too noisy at times. This could be distracting to other cast members and to the directorial team. However, this was accompanied by comments (again from cast members) that this was because they had bonded so much as a unit and the excitement and energy for the show sometimes outweighed discipline.

Tech

The staging, sound and lighting in general were seen as inventive and innovative for Showstoppers. The use of the space was effective for the level of dance in the show, with plenty of room for the high-energy musical numbers. The sound was commented to be perfectly balanced and the sound technicians should be praised for ensuring every single syllable was heard.

The use of the revolve divided opinion. Surprisingly, many of the negative comments came from the production team, who thought it clumsy and potentially unnecessary. However, all of the audience members and cast seemed to love the revolve. Most thought it brought a new dimension to the show and subsequently made the show more interesting. To summarise, whether comments on the practicalities were positive or negative, most seemed to agree that it was a brave move for Showstoppers and more original staging ideas such as this should be used in the future.

StageSoc were commended for their hard work at all stages of the process, making the set look authentic through the use of set and lighting. Yet some of the cast members seemed abraded by their attitude during the show itself, with comments against some members being rude.

Show Overall

This section I feel is best summarised by quotes.

“I thought the show was amazing. It was so much fun and although I had not heard of it before, I thoroughly enjoyed myself whilst watching. Everyone involved should be extremely proud.” (Audience)

“It was fantastic. Honoured to be a part of it! I loved it!” (Cast)

“I loved it and so did the audiences who came to see it! I think this show is testament to what we can pull off as a society, even under pressure.” (Cast)

“I loved it. From start to finish, there was energy, enthusiasm and talent across the prod team and the cast, which was what stood out for me. I think particular mention should go to Robin and Andy who worked exceptionally well as a directorial pair, as well as Alyssa who was without a shadow of a doubt the most the best choreographer I've ever worked with. Although I hadn't heard of Drowsy before this, it's now become one of my favourite shows, and I thank everyone for making this such a great experience.” (Cast)

“...lets do it again?” (Director)

Happiness and festivities and merriment.

V. INTO THE WOODS UPDATE

JC: So it's going well, we've had a pretty intensive week but most of the time was used well, apart from one day which was a bit of a hiccup, but we stopped the run and tried to reorganise time to recap and sort things out instead.

PB leaves

JC: The most amazing thing was to watch the transformation from where we were a week and a bit ago to where we are now. Reservations are on 74% of budget, but that doesn't mean we can't publicise anymore, I'm astounded by how it's going. I think the Spelling Bee feedback has helped me a lot as a person. It's been very ambitious, the set wasn't as secure as I would want it to be, for example the steps to the raise didn't work well with dresses and heels so I had to ask StageSoc to change it, but that's been fixed now. The dress run went fantastically. Also we've got The Edge, Soton Tab, Daily Echo and Surge Radio coming in to review. The way reservations are going, we shouldn't make a loss.

SK: Ah feedback, can you set up the feedback form for Sunday Alyssa?

AFC: Yes of course!

Small discussion about whether we should open feedback forms during a show or after it. We decided on keeping it after.

SK: Social?

AB: Phoebe's already done it, with no prompting or nothing, good work!

Snaps for Phoebe.

AFC: Yeah, as a Show Liaison I haven't got anything to add, I've had a few cast members ask me to do things, which I've then passed on to the prod team and tried to sort things out

Funny talk about trailer, Ieuan climbing sideways and Lydia being scary, and the flyers promoting Sondheim's revolutionary younger Russian cousin, Stephen Sondheim.

AB: Ooh, also can all committee members change their cover pic to the Into the Woods one?

Alyssa will open show feedback forms on Sunday, and committee will change their cover photos to the Into the Woods one.

VI. PITCHES

SK: Nuffield. Sunday. In Ed lec. Be there. It's at 7pm rather than 6pm.

CL: Also, following on from feedback from before, everyone on committee needs to read all the pitches.

DMC has arrived

Quick discussion on whether non-committee are allowed to attend or not. They are welcome to, but will be asked to leave after contributing so that committee can vote.

AB: Just checking, if we don't get Nuffield, will we hold another round of pitches for main?

YES.

SK: 24. 24 is when...

AM: Well, if you were to look on the calendar on the Showstoppers website...

The website calendar works YAY! All praise to Lord Charlie of the House...House.

SK: As you can see, it's on the 6th June.

DMC: Which year?

Quiet McNamee. Only been here 5 minutes and causing mutinous anarchy already.

SK: 2015 I believe...So, we need to figure out when to have pitches, we are currently on the 22nd April, so there is a time difference.

Between Sev and Danny's silliness, and more confusion by lots of people talking, Angry gets confused and asks if it's not the 6th of June...poor girl :P It was however, hilarious. You had to be there.

SK: Shall we say ...

A very long and convoluted discussion between lots of people erupts about when to do 24 pitches, and Freshers/Small pitches. Exams, Show In A week, time, clashes, whether people are still gonna be here, what we did last year.

I gave up minuting after a while and tried to help. Wait, they're talking about the Leavers' Meal now too? Deary me I've lost track...

Sev steps in to stop the confusion and takes up the Presidential Mantle of Leadership!

SK: Ok! 24 pitches will be on 10th May evening, with a written deadline on midnight 8th May.

I started singing Last Midnight at Lydia. She was not impressed

SK: Then Freshers/Small pitches will be on 10th June, with a written deadline on midnight 8th June. The Leavers' Meal will be on 5th June, before 24.

Nuffield written pre-pitches due midnight this Friday, with spoken on Sunday. 24 written pitches are due midnight 8th May, with spoken on 10th May. Freshers & Small written pitches are due midnight 8th June, with spoken on 10th June.

VII. PA AGM

SK: Ben, you're coming to the PA AGM with me!

BW: I am? Ok that's cool.

Sev and Ben will go to the PA AGM and vote.

VIII. PRESIDENTIAL UPDATE

SK: We're having our first committee meeting now!

AB: ooh, this is also for Ben, if you want to add anything?

BW: Nah it's fine.

IX. SECRETARIAL UPDATE

AB: So, deadlines! All minutes will now be posted on the committee group at 12pm. Committee will then have until Saturday 6pm to approve them, then they will be posted. Unless it's not on a Thursday. In which case, I guess we will follow the same interval of days. Yeah

Basically, Andy will organise self and sort his administrative life out, and people in the society will get to see all the minutes, and yeah. All good.

X. TREASURER UPDATE

AFC: Have you gone round the Into the Woods cast for membership?

AM: Peter said he'd do that and show deposits, I will talk to him about that, and he's gonna help me close the show's books and everything. He's gonna help me with Edinburgh too cos that's gonna be tough, I don't think he did an Edinburgh show, so we're gonna work together.

XI. SOCIAL UPDATE

PJ: Socials are happening, the PA ball is happening, people are going, that is a thing.

AFC: For the PA ball, do the Social Secs need to help arrange the seating?

CL: The way Caitlin's written the form, she will be organising them, as you had to fill in which societies you were in and which were your preference and so on.

AFC: That's ok, it's just last year, the Social Secs helped arranged tables, so the PA person didn't need to do everything.

CL: It may be worth sending Caitlin a message, but I think she'll be ok.

PJ: I thought the Leavers Meal could be on the 5th June, after exams and before the 24?

SK: That sounds good, do you have any ideas of where?

PJ: Fi wants to talk to me about it, she's already said that she has ideas she's willing to pass down, so I might wait for her to say things.

AFC: There's a list of places in handbook which might be useful, so have a look.

SK: Ooh, and you need to organise awards?

CL: So basically we need a form for that, TG do it too, the society fill in a sort of feedback form for the years' shows, and say who you think was the best newcomer, best onstage couple and lots of silly categories, then awards happen at the meal between courses.

AB: It would be worth getting the form from Fi from last year, and it may be nice for Fi and Phoebe to do awards together.

PJ: I have made events for Into the Woods, TG summer and Comedy, I haven't done HMS yet as I feel like I'm bombarding people with too much already. Also, I hope you don't mind, but me, Ieuan and Chris Walker were talking about having a TG vs Showstopper sports day?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha. Hahahahahaha. Haha. Ha. TG are clever bastards.

RF: We will get absolutely annihilated...

AFC: Not if we include less sport-like sports too! Like beanbag races and how many marshmallows can you fit in your mouth

PJ: Does that sound good?

YES. We may die but at least we go willingly! VIVE LE CANARD!

AFC: A nice summery day, BBQs, it sounds lovely.

CL: True British style.

AM: We could have like a massive Showstoppers vs. TG NINJA TOURNAMENT!!!

DM: The biggest game of werewolves ever!!

RJ: We'd actually get to build a small village.

Phoebe will talk to Fi and start arranging the Leavers' Meal and awards for 5th June. Miss Judd will also organise the amazing Showstoppers vs. TG Sports Picnic day!!

XII. DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

JH: Me and Jamie done our handover, I don't know where he is, we want to do a summer cabaret. We've already kinda thought of some dates, and the possibility of holding it in the Bridge, as feedback from last time told us it was hard to see people and was meant to be more social, rather than a formal show, so it's easier for people to walk around. We wanted it to be summery, Jamie wanted it outside but we realised that would not be practical quite quickly, we were thinking maybe the same day as the Leavers Meal, so it's in the afternoon. However the Bridge can only be booked on Wednesday evenings.

LE: During exams?

AM: We can't do it the week after now

AFC: Has everyone had a look at the provisional timetable? There are very few exams in the last week

JH: It depends on what everyone else wants to do

DM: If you want to do it on 5th before the meal, you could look into booking out a room, and sprucing it up a bit?

JH: Bar 3 is actually very free.

SK: I think primarily the problem last time, was that it was at the same time as another event

JH: Ahh ok. As for having a summer cabaret, I know Emma Bryant for example wished she could, and she's leaving, it'd be nice for her to get a chance to do it

SK: I really think we should have one.

DM: You could do what we did for comedy, close off the curtain and then you just have that backing area.

RF: Having the Annex doors open would not a problem, making it more of a social

AFC: I'd probably prefer it not in a theatre, as it's less social an atmosphere

JH: Stags was free

RJ: But Stags you can't book out as it's public

AFC: What about Bar 2?

JH: Glen Eyre/hall was free, and you know they've got the patio. Bar 2's got the doors to the outside too.

SK: Cos if it's free... Could you look into cabaret venues and the potential dates now? SBar 2, bar 3, the Bridge though it's unlikely.

AM: Can we think of how to make it into fundraiser?

RF: Have the buckets like last time, we didn't do badly from it.

DM: Monte Bar's also one to look into

Jess & Jamie will look into a venue for cabaret and confirmed date, probably 5th June afternoon, by Monday 27th.

XIII. WEB-MOTIONS UPDATE

CHARLIE IS AMAZING. We all love him and cannot thank him enough. Praise House.

SK: Sadly he can't be here today as he's ill, but he's done a superb job over Easter.

AM: Anyone who hasn't got a pic on their website profile, if you send him a photo, he can put it up there. Also he's asked for people to look through it and check for mistakes in casts, prod teams etc.

AFC: As years go on, shows always get forgotten, this year we've had people from 4/5 years ago asking where the details are for shows they were in, can you get them at all? As they were on the old website.

AM: The problem is, Charlie decided to make a new website anyway, but before he did he got an email from SUSU saying that the website had been hacked and that they needed to delete, so after that he put the new website up from scratch, so anything on the website at the moment we've had to complete ourselves, that's as far as we've been able to go.

AFC: Oh yeah he's done fantastically, I was just wondering if there was a way to get it back further. Also there's lot of show photos missing, so it would be worth getting those, the current Fame photos are actually from 10 years ago.

GM: Are there any on StageSoc?

RF: I can't find any Fame photos anywhere on Facebook.

AFC: It may be worth getting in contact with StageSoc to get old photos

AM: He'll probably try to get website properly running over summer, and then build the database backwards from there.

RJ: Matilda's not there, and also having Mamma Mia actually there as a title could be risky, it might be worth just having "24 hour 2015?"

Agreed. We don't want to get sued.

Charlie will get in contact with StageSoc to find older Showstoppers show photos, and update Matilda/24 Hour Show 2013. Committee will look through the website to check for mistakes. Over Summer we will build the show database further backwards.

XIV. ORDINARY UPDATE

LE: It is sunny

DM: It's a shorts day. Also, we're gonna make that feedback form. But we're both busy in a show at the moment.

LE: Let's set the task of doing it after Into the Woods

DM: We'll set it to get feedback from 2 weeks time.

LE & DM will have the society-wide feedback form ready for release next Thursday (30th April), and then close it and collate the responses the Thursday (7th May) afterwards.

XV. AOB

AFC: I'm running the Southampton half-marathon on Sunday, most of you will be hungover, but if you fancy sponsoring me for charity that'd be fab! There's a donation page on my Facebook.

JC: Come see Into the Woods!

AB: Are we keeping the swear jar?

Yep. Muahahaha

JC swear x 1

Andy still needs to collect swear money from last committee.

DM: We want society-wide t-shirts, and we want them to be tie-dyed!

RF: This idea happens every year...

LE: Well they should be blue...

DM: How about a happy medium, we can dip-dye them!

LE: We'll look into where we get them from

AFC: Get primark tops, tie-dye them then do it

DM: We'll do a poll.

LE: Once we've decided well sort them

DM: If we are doing this for committee t-shirts, we can ask society members to get in on the order

LE: The idea was that it would be nice for people who are involved in the society but not in many shows could have society clothing

AFC: What we discussed last year was also printing show names on the sides of clothing.

LE & DM will create a poll on the society about interest in dip-dye Showstoppers t-shirts. Then they will respond to the interest and get round to sourcing t-shirts and dye so we can make them. Such fun.

SK: Cool, anything else at all? Nope? Meeting finished!