

Agenda for Showstoppers' Committee Meeting 2015

29th April 2015, 7pm in 58/1025

Expected

SK - Sevan Keoshgerian (President)
AM - Angry Morgan (Treasurer)
PJ - Phoebe Judd (Social Secretary)
JM - Jamie Martin (Development Officer)
JH - Jess Hector (Development Officer)
CH - Charlie House (Webmaster & Promotions Officer)
LE - Lydia Edge (Ordinary Member)

Apologies & Absences

BW - Ben Willcocks (Vice-President) - Apologies (Work)
AB - Andy Banks (Secretary) - Apologies (Showcase)
CL - Cat Lewis (Tours Officer) - Apologies (Wide Night)
DM - Danny McNamee (Ordinary Member) - Apologies (Comedy Meeting)

Non-Committee Present

KP - Kimberley Pearson
JC - Josh Cox

Munch Duty

Le grand canard, qui dirige (Sev)

Agenda

- I. INTO THE WOODS FEEDBACK (Opening the form)
- II. EDINBURGH UPDATE (Dogfight Update, Craft Update, Accommodation, Fundraising)
- III. PITCHES (Online Form, 24, Main Show)
- IV. PRESIDENTIAL UPDATE
- V. TREASURER UPDATE (SUSU Loan, Ticket system)
- VI. SOCIAL UPDATE (PA Ball, Leavers' Meal, Summer Sports with TG)
- VII. DEVELOPMENT UPDATE (Cabaret date, venue)
- VIII. WEB-MOTIONS UPDATE (Old Showstoppers Casts/Photos,)
- IX. ORDINARY UPDATE (Society feedback form, dip-dye t-shirts form)
- X. SECRETARIAL UPDATE (Action Table Review)
- XI. A.O.B.

AB not present so LE to take minutes for this meeting.

Sev forgot munch. Tut tut tut.

SK: Hello everyone, this is a very small committee today.

Looks at Lydia's screen.

SK: Are you going to minute everything?

Challenge accepted.

I. INTO THE WOODS FEEDBACK (Opening the form)

SK: Into the woods feedback!

JC: I can give a quick summary on the money we made? The feedback form is out by the way, Alyssa's shared it everywhere. Oh and we made £2000 pounds overall in ticket sales. That's about £800-900 profit I think even with the overspend on costumes.

SK: So yeah, feedback form is out so if you all want to fill it out please, the better our shows will be in the future.

II. EDINBURGH UPDATE (Dogfight Update, Craft Update, Accommodation, Fundraising)

SK: That's me. Dogfight; Robin told me that nothing's changed. They've got their first rehearsal coming up on Friday. Craft have done some auditions for extra members, they're making a decision on that now which needs to be soon. I've sorted a housing meeting for Friday and we might have upwards of two houses.

CH: Sharing with TG?

SK: No because they have one cast so one house. Fundraising; we had a meeting on Monday, decided on a whole load of fundraising ideas. Accommodation I'm a bit worried about but will get sorted.

KP arrives

III. PITCHES (Online Form, 24, Main Show)

CH: The online form didn't work for Nuffield pitches so I asked for it to be added to the agenda because I wanted to discuss it with you guys.

Discussion about clashes between pitches for freshers and small and TG's show in a week, could be an issue because a few committee members are involved in show in a week.

Too much talking for Lydia to handle.

Action: SK to ask Anna Williams what times the rehearsals will be for Show in a Week to avoid clashes when we set a pitch time.

SK: Back to the online form

CH: Both teams messaged me to say it wasn't working. This is because Google have changed how they handle forms. It's now efficient for small forms but not so good for longer length forms and so this won't work reliably anymore. It is not an issue with the website because I sent Will the form directly and that didn't fix it.

AM: Do we need to go back to emailing pitches to the Secretary?

CH: No, the documents that you used to have to send to the Secretary upload fine on the new form. We could do a word document spread sheet which we share on the website. We put the headings and they download and type into the word document which they then upload?

YES

AM: What are we doing about 24 pitches? We can't do it through website because then all of committee will see it.

CH: I can limit who gets to see it but it has to include me.

SK: That won't work, we'll go back to emailing. Main show?

Someone asks if they could be the same time as freshers/small pitches. Jess mentions something about it going on so late that we'd all have to go and get McDonalds breakfast.

SK: Let's hold off deciding this until next week

JM: There's no rush

AM: Worst comes to worst Drowsy was decided really late in October/November last year.

SK: That was because we were doing Phantom this time last year and then no-one pitched the first time.

AM: Would the first round of pitches have been before summer though?

SK: Let's take it to next week, and then decide when all of committee are here.

Non-comm leave.

Jess and Lydia also leave due to conflict of interest. Minutes paused.

Everyone re-enters. Minutes resumed.

In the few moments outside, Lydia appears to have forgotten how to minute and can't keep up with the ensuing discussion about munch. Green beans were mentioned; sadly no Into the Woods pun came of it.

IV. PRESIDENTIAL UPDATE

SK: I don't know what Andy wants me to say in this. I am still president.

AM: Has anything changed in your presidency? Tell us about PA AGM?

SK: I went. And voted. Yeah.

V. TREASURER UPDATE (SUSU Loan, Ticket system)

AM: We have a loan! SUSU are lending us money because we were having a slight financial situation where we were paying more than we were getting and now that's sorted.

JH: I don't really get the whole cash flow thing

SK: There's this thing cash flow. Where... there's a flow of cash. Basically we needed to get some money to enable cashflow.

AM: It's just for the short term.

SK: Because Edinburgh is a huge expense.

Hand gesture explanation about needing cash flow before we get money from Edinburgh.

AM: We won't get money from Edinburgh until September

JH: Or March like TG

AM: Nah, we'll get it in September.

Sev lives near C venues and only recently realised this. Jamie makes amusing comment about how could you not notice the similarity of the postcodes.

AM: There's another thing which I asked Lydia to add to the Agenda in front of her which doesn't appear up there. Could encourage using the ticket system which we've used for all the shows this year that Charlie developed on Grease. It will make my life easier because it keeps everything nice on a google form. If you agree we were thinking of making it Treasurer's responsibility?

CH: At the moment it's on my Google drive and I have to give it to each team every time, my personal one not even a webmaster Google drive. Seems like it would be more efficient to give it to Treasurer.

AM: Then I can show producers how to use it.

SK: Everyone happy?

YES

Action: Charlie to move the ticket system form over to the Treasurer for all future use.

VI. SOCIAL UPDATE (PA Ball, Leavers' Meal, Summer Sports with TG)

PJ: PA Ball. Still happening. People are still going. In the Edinburgh meeting we were thinking of Fundraising before PA ball but now Josh McDonald's put an event for his birthday before it so we won't do that now.

SK: Leaver's meal?

PJ: Fi's only just finished diss but we will have a handover soon and then I'll sort it.

SK: TG sports day?

PJ: Yeah so, this is now a fundraiser for Edinburgh. So now we need to do it.

AM: How are we making it a fundraiser?

PJ: With a Ninja's tournament

LE: That was totally my brainwave for Nuffield fundraising. So proud.

PJ: So people put in say £1 and then the winner takes home half the pot

SK: Maybe it should be a quarter of the pot because a half is a lot. Or maybe just a prize rather than some of the money?

AM: Can we say...? When are you planning on doing it? Could say that they get a free ticket for 24 if it's happening before.

SK: I don't think we can really because that's a charity event.

AM: There might be a way of thinking of a prize which doesn't give over the money.

SK: The money should go to Edinburgh.

AM: As the prize could we just make a massive ninja trophy

SK: Could we get Ellie to draw a Ninja champion and to frame it in a glass thing as the prize.

JH: Which Ellie?

SK: Ellie Joyce, she's in TG she's really good. Also are we charging £1? £2?

KP: If the only thing that people are paying for on this day is the tournament why not £2?

PJ: But people generally have a pound in their pocket and not two pounds. Also say you want to borrow off someone it's easier to ask if it's a pound

SK: Please do it though.

PJ: It's going to happen, if Ieuan helps.

JH: I messaged Ieuan about TG dates for clashes.... This isn't relevant. But he's kind of getting organised.

PJ: I'm going to have a discussion with him about dates because a lot is going on in that week.

SK: This is going to be a very intense period.

PJ: Are you ok for me to suggest if we might need to change a date either on our side or theirs?

SK: We might have to think about that

VII. DEVELOPMENT UPDATE (Cabaret date, venue)

JH: It was good and now it's bad.

JM: It's not awful

JH: We managed to sort cabaret yesterday. We decided 3rd June, it's a Wednesday because that is the only time you can hire the Bridge. So I booked it for 6-10pm but I had an email to say that The Bridge apparently can't be hired out during trading times. I took that to mean it can't be booked out until 7:30 because they're still doing food. I've sent them an email to ask if we can have it from 8. I spoke to Trini, she's going to liaise with people because she's in the circle so right now I don't know if we can do it in the Bridge but we can have Bar 2 or Bar3 easily.

SK: Bar 2 is nice

JM: The good thing is about the bridge is the stage. Bar 2 is a tad more cramped

JH: The feedback last time is that Bar 3 is too cramped

SK: I think it's that Bar 3 is too long. But could we do it on the patio in Bar 2?

JC: I know in cabaret I spent most of my time standing. If you did it in Bar 2 you could maximise different types of social space, standing and sitting.

JM: Were you standing because seating was so far back last time? In the Bridge there is loads of seating.

JH: Bridge is a long shot basically. Cabaret can definitely happen though. And it can definitely be on the 3rd of June. And we can have Bar2/3. We're just now trying to sort Bridge. We're also deciding now whether to charge £1 on the door?

SK: I think £2. Because people now know what cabaret is and so are likely to pay as they enjoyed it last time.

JH: It would be funds for Edinburgh.

JM: How much did we make last year

SK: £56

JM: And how many people showed up? Would we make more from buckets because some people will want to give more than £2?

SK: About that amount I think. You could have buckets as well.

JH: If it was in the Bridge, I think people would accept entry but in an open venue in SUSU it might be harder to enforce.

Discussion about how much was charged for Grease social in the Bridge at the start of the year.

LE: How about suggested entry of £2 but if you want to give anymore then that would be nice.

PJ: You'd need someone on the door

JM: I'm sure someone would be happy to

JC: Acoustics used to hold events in Bar 2 loads and charged £3. They set up a table to make like a cordoned off area which could be used to charge entry

JH: Oh also, to hire equipment it came to £55.

CH: That's not enough equipment but I can get more for that money. That's the cheapest tech deal SUSU do.

AM: Basically... Showstoppers can pay for it and it won't be that any money raised goes to offset that, it goes to Edinburgh instead.

PJ: Does it absolutely have to be on 3rd of June? Because there's so much going on in that week!

SK: That happened last year

JH: This is the only time, without 24 clash and before people go home.

AM: You might not get as many sign-ups because of exams.

JH: I've spoken to a lot of people who are leaving and they will jump at the opportunity

LE: Also what will we do if we get tonnes of signups?

SK: One thing per person.

JC: Might have to do a deadline, first come first serve basis.

JM: We're being strict on that

CH: Can I also request backing tracks emailed in advance not on the day

Action: JH and JM to continue looking into sorting the Bridge as a venue and to finalise entry cost.

VIII. WEB-MOTIONS UPDATE (Old Showstoppers Casts/Photos.)

Discussion about how best to format minutes in a way that would best annoy Andy Banks.

Mwhaha. I decided a font change was required.

CH: I have now backdated shows because people complained. There are shows back to 09 which I think is probably far enough. I've got galleries for ones we've got photos for. There's not cast lists on everything yet but I'm working on it, I have old showstoppers sending me cast lists and programmes.

Discussion about how old some of the old Showstoppers are. We decided so very old.

CH: Other stuff. If you click on shows there's now cast, crew, band and on the bottom it links to member pages for the crew as well. We're working on linking all of the databases so that Showstoppers member pages show everything that you've ever done not just Showstoppers' shows. It's being looked into but won't be imminent. Nominations for curtain calls are on there now. Reviews are on there as well now.

SK: Bloody hell

PJ: You can stay forever

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLIE. Raucous chorus of Happy Birthday. No cake though because Sev forgot munch. Bad Sev.

CH: The other thing was, I've realised that loads of Google docs get posted in groups and buried and then we can't find them. Would it be worth putting Google docs for cabaret on the website so that people can find them easily even after they get buried in the group?

JH: Could we have a cabaret tab?

CH: We could. Or I can add it to current things with all the latest active Google docs.

SK: Any more amazing things you've done?

CH: Nope

SK: Cool

AM: Would it be worth putting a form, or encouraging people to use the contact thing if they notice a mistake on the website

CH: The contact form doesn't work

PJ: Maybe just a post in the Facebook group to ask to check the website and let you know if there's anything?

CH: Yeah. Oh also, newsletters. I did one. Did everyone get it?

JC: I didn't get it

PJ: I'm not subscribed

CH: It's on the website anyway and there is a link on the website to sign up to the mailing list if you haven't done.

JM: It registers as dangerous for me

CH: That's a fault with SUSU. I'll post the sign up to the mailing list somewhere soon so people can sign up.

Discussion about the old website. Apparently got hacked by everyone.

Round of applause for Charlie in all his wonderfulness. I'm beginning to sound scarily like Andy Banks...

IX. ORDINARY UPDATE (Society feedback form, dip-dye t-shirts form)

Danny McNamee enters. Lydia shows the society wide feedback form that has been created. General consent that it looks good.

AM: Do you have a question about anything the society feel we need in terms of spending?

LE: No but I can add one.

DM: Can we encourage them to be demanding as they want on this?

SK: Yes. Also Dip dye shirts

AM: The poll on committee was for committee shirts

DM: I'm assuming that all the committee shirts will be the same as the society ones. Are we all happy with blue polo with yellow writing?

AM: I added blue and white

CH swore x1

SK swore x1 earlier and this just reminded me.

DM: I'm assuming we'll do a more navy blue.

CH: I can send you the codes for the colours on the website if you want to be super keen.

AM: We could do navy and white so it's different to last year? Or a royal blue?

DM: I mean the colour of blue on the website

Lots of talking about various shades of blue. The word blue no longer sounds like a word.

LE: Is there a demand for showstoppers clothing? Do we need to assess that first?

SK: I don't think so because people already have cast clothing.

DM: The idea was for those who aren't in many shows or in those that can't afford show clothing

JH: Might become a signal for those things though?

DM: We were going to get an order in for committee shirts because we want those before the Bunfight. Then ask the rest of the society if there was interest

LE: Should we wait until next year for society shirts for the influx of new Fresher's?

DM: We can ask if it is a popular idea before summer. Get committee shirts before summer and then ask the society at large again when freshers come in?

JH: I like the idea of shows on the back

JM: Might get clustered

SK: I think Showstoppers on the back and name on the front.

DM: So are we agreed on royal blue and white writing or yellow writing?

Vote: White writing wins

DM: You can get prototypes mapped up from Wessex

CH: I can do one

DM: Role on committee across back

CL enters

CL: Used to have name small on front and logo opposite with name and position on back.

DM: We're thinking polos?

YES

AM: Should we use the font from the website as an extension of the brand?

YES

SK: Set up a google form and everyone write what they want with name and position to be.

DM: No silliness with positions. If we've got two places for positions then could we have a serious and a jokey version of our position?

SK: Keep it professional because it's for the bunfight

PJ describes why she passionately hates polo shirts.

DM: If CH is happy to mock up a design could we have ordered them maybe by next week? We need to shop around for prices?

CH: I can mock it up tomorrow.

DM: We'll try and order before exams.

CL: Are you going to Wessex? We went somewhere a bit cheaper last year: Carolines.

JC: She's quite good, and if you say a price she matches it.

DM: We can make the order after next committee.

SK: Before you go do you have any other business Danny?

DM: Nope.

DM leaves.

Action: LE and DM to make adjustments to feedback form as discussed and to post it in the Showstoppers Facebook group. LE and DM to shop around for prices for shirts and to create a Google doc to ascertain sizes/name/position in advance of the order which will be made after next committee meeting.

JH: Bar 2 has been booked in the time that we've been talking. By Pokersoc

JC: They can move. SUSU do move people if it benefits them.

JH: They'd make profit from the bar so they might be willing to move them.

AM: Do we want Bar 3 as third option?

SK: Where else?

JH: There's nowhere else.

JM: Monte?

Generally mutterings of no, not particularly nice.

SK: Go for Bridge, if not look at Bar 2, if not Bar 3.

Discussion that there's a film in union films on, on the same date as the proposed cabaret date, might disturb, avoid bar 3 if possible.

JM: Can I ask a question about feedback form?

LE: Sure

JM: When and how will you pass on the feedback to the relevant people?

LE: I'll collate it rather like show feedback and then present it in a future meeting. I'll then give it to AB to add to minutes so that it can be found and read over again if people want/need.

CH swore x1

X. SECRETARIAL UPDATE (Action Table Review)

SK: He's not here.

Reviewed action table and crossed off relevant things: Feedback forms opened for ITW

AB arrives. Huzzah!

AB: Have I missed anything. Oh Action Table, right, just cross off anything we've done.

XI. A.O.B.

CL: Come see a show I'm in, Winterling and This Wide Night this week, see you there!

JM: No

AB: No

SK: We're going to, for next committee, talk about changing pitches and how they're done. Things like not booking EdLec. We'll discuss it next week as have all committee there.

AM: Best after feedback form? Because we've had informal feedback and pointed people in direction of the form so.

SK: Yeah, we'll discuss it at a later date.

CH: Look at website, tell me of mistakes

KP: Issue for ITW. Becky took me every wardrobe place and isn't getting reimbursed, she was told that she would be reimbursed but at Nuffield pitches Peter mentioned that we can't provide travel expenses for a designer to come from Winchester because we don't pay producers. We were told she would get her money back.

AB: By who?

JC: It was assumed

KP: Becky has been up and back a lot and she thought she was going to get her money back. She said it was £35 and we're poor and because we were told...?

AB: Who were you told by?

JC: An assumption was made by the prod team .It's our fault but because we made a profit could it be covered? Also could committee move their position on reimbursement?

Non com asked to leave. Minutes paused

Non com re-enter. Discussion that unfortunately because we weren't aware on this occasion we cannot reimburse but we will hold a discussion with full committee about changing our system to allow reimbursement for travel in future. Minutes resumed.

SK: Continuing with A.O.B

PJ: No

JH: No

JC: Do you want to add a PA committee update to the agenda so that we can discuss things that go on in meeting with Showstoppers as there are so many of us?

SK: We could do. I imagine the responsibility will be with Georgia as Theatrical Rep to pass anything onto us.

AM: Can I add something? Me and Peter had a meeting about radio mics and we've secured an amount for Showstoppers.

CH: How long for? That deal will be for a set amount of time?

AM: Probably when they replace them which they're thinking of doing in 5 years so we don't need to worry.

JM: Will future committee meetings be on Thursdays?

SK: Next Thursday good?

Discussion about the proximity of 24 pitches.

Action: SK to post message about upcoming 24 pitches tomorrow.

DATE OF NEXT COMMITTEE: THURSDAY 7th MAY; TIME TBC; ROOM TBC.

