

# Agenda for Showstoppers' Committee Meeting

16<sup>th</sup> September 2015, 11am in Changry Seacat House

## Expected

SK – Sevan Keoshgerian (President)

BW – Ben Willcocks (Vice-President)

AB – Andy Banks (Secretary)

AM – Angry Morgan (Treasurer)

PJ – Phoebe Judd (Social Secretary)

JM – Jamie Martin (Development Officer)

CH – Charlie House (Webmaster & Promotions Officer)

CL – Cat Lewis (Tours Officer)

LE – Lydia Edge (Ordinary Member)

## Apologies & Absences

JH – Jess Hector (Development Officer) – Apologies (Not Back in Southampton yet)

DM – Danny McNamee (Ordinary Member) – Apologies (Doing Comedy for Bunfight, traitor)

## Munch Duty

Angry made coffees

## Agenda

*Everyone forgot this meeting was happening. Several people went to the pub and got hungover...it shows AND I AM VERY JUDGING.*

SK: Hello everyone, good morning all, roll call!!

*Lydia realises she will have to put up with endless Dogfight jokes for a while yet.*

### **I. BUNFIGHT PREPARATIONS**

SK: So the Bunfight is on 23<sup>rd</sup> September, but we don't know the time yet or how many people are allowed on the stand at a time.

AM: It was 3 last year.

CH: We're definitely not in the Cube, but we might be in Garden Court.

AM: When we know how many people we're allowed, we can create a rota.

AB: Usually committee and Freshers/Small production teams are invited to the stand as well.

SK: We have flyers, banners are getting sorted.

AM: Should we make a form for performances?

SK: I'll create a Google sheet on how many performances we'll have

LE: Put it on the committee group, then we can share it in the production team groups.

AM: Or we can just say to society, we will be having performances, if you're interested sign up

AB: Last year we had 2 or 3 open group numbers. Mamma Mia was one, so we could do Time Warp this year?

PJ: Does Sev remember the words?

*Nope.*

AB: I volunteer as tribute to be the MD for the group numbers this year!

*Discussion about different shows we've done this year and which songs we could do, results are inconclusive. Time Warp and possibly Grease.*

CH: For the display, first of all there are 500 nice glossy flyers, do people feel we need more?

PJ: There are 8000 freshers, I imagine 3000 of those will be at the bunfight, so 500 should be fine as it's 1 in 6.

JM: We should look between 1000 and 1500.

AM: 1000 would be too much, we wouldn't get rid of them all.

BW: People will be expecting to take a flyer though, so let's go for 1000 more.

CH: We can always give them out at the welcome meeting again.

*A very long debate over whether we get 1000 more paper flyers or 500 more glossy ones. Shall we have a vote on amount of flyers? We are a bad committee.*

**Vote passed on ordering 500 more glossy flyers.**

BW: I have the poster boards from last year Charlie, I'll get those over to you.

CH: That's good, I'm sorting out the photo poster design for the Bunfight at the moment, due to errors on the other end with ordering the flyers I've been given a discount on posters, so they're only £3 each. For the mailing list, I can either have the freshers sign straight up to the mailing list, which will require them to follow a link to be able to join it, or I can make a Google form and import them myself?

*Unanimous consent on the Google form. Phoebe is still not on the mailing list, and is confused*

**BREAKING NEWS UPDATE:** For the Bunfight, we are in Garden court from 10am, with a 15 minute performance slot from 1pm. There will be an 8x8 stage, plus microphone stands, with a backing track system set up. Final details are coming in on Friday.

**Charlie will order 500 more flyers and sort out the poster displays for the Bunfight, as well as making a Google form for the mailing list. Sev will post on the Showstoppers page to gather interest in performing for the 1pm slot.**

## WELCOME MEETING

LE: Can we make a Facebook event for welcome meeting, TG have just done one!

*Yep, that works!*

CH: Do you want me to do the PowerPoint?

BW: I think if me and Sev do it with you, and delegate different areas of the welcome talk (ie. Choreography) to those with more knowledge on it, and what fits their roles.

SK: We have a room, 58/1023, for the talk, and then we have another room in Murray, where we will conduct an experiment on the freshers, and do games with them.

AB: It would be good to teach them a song as well, probably one from Footloose?

BW: We should talk to Megan and Becky to see if they could come in and do it.

SK: The meeting is on 1<sup>st</sup> October at 6pm. It will be 2 hours long, so we'll have half an hour for the talk and questions, then 1 and a half for music and games. We'll have people spread out in Murray to direct people in too. We shall bring in the Tuck Shop Manager for refreshment too!

*Cat groans in patient frustration.*

AM: Why not have each of us bring something different food-wise along?

*General consensus, then chatter about various hilarious situations that could somehow arise from this. I, for one, am lost. Results inconclusive.*

AB: Ok, so far the list of topics for the welcome talk would be:

- Introducing ourselves and the society
- Show Slots
- Tours/Edinburgh
- Socials
- Workshops
- Auditions
- Directing
- MDing/Band Playing
- Choreographing
- Producing

**Sev and Ben will create a Facebook event for the welcome meeting, as well as co-ordinate the creation of the PowerPoint presentation with Charlie. Ben will also ask Megan and Becky about teaching a song at the Welcome Meeting. The sections of the talk shall be delegated to different committee members at the next committee meeting.**

## MAIN SHOW

*PA committee want to re-open Nuffield, but we have already turned down 2 rounds of pitches. There is a discussion on whether we should re-open a round of Showstoppers Nuffield pitches so people can pitch for the Nuffield again, or if we don't, because it will push our Main Show pitches even further back, will put people off pitching for Main and is not likely to succeed unless there have been major changes over the summer. Due to the primarily financial worries behind unsuccessful pitches this year, we shall wait to hear from PA committee if the Underwriting system has been redone and if the Nuffield have changed their hire costs for university shows, or not.*

*Ollie Bray has just sent Sev a message about the possibility of having a joint TG and Showstoppers show in the Nuffield. If this were to work at all, we would have to have both committees meet together. In the meantime, a provisional time for Main Show pitches has been set as mid-October.*

**Sev will contact PA Committee about any changes to Nuffield situation, and Ollie Bray about Nuffield pitch ideas, and the possible double committee meeting extravaganza. If nothing has changed, we shall hold Main Show pitches in mid-October.**

#### SMALL UPDATE

AB: We have taken on Georgia as a Producer over the summer, got all the scripts and scores, just preparing for auditions and callbacks, I'm useless at finding monologues but Lydia is great. Joe's already started sourcing band members too, which is wonderful.

#### FRESHERS UPDATE

BW: We'll be having meeting soon about where people stand and who's doing what, the scores and librettos have been sent to Jess's house but she's not here, so I'll have to get them at some point in the near future. There's not a lot to say other than we're having a meeting soon.

PJ: Have you taken on Josephine?

BW: Yep, particularly as it helps Kimberley to focus more on ADing.

#### EDINBURGH UPDATE

SK: We did Edinburgh!

*Various talk and hilarity and reminiscing of our summertime exploits in Scotland. Suggestions of opening feedback forms for the two shows, which we shall decide at the next committee with both the 2 liaisons (Cat and Danny) present. I (Andy) also have to give Angry the £20/30 odd of swear money from last year's committee.*

AM: I'm still waiting for people to send me receipts and stuff so I can pay them back. The show deposits will cover any loss, but people will get part of their show deposits back.

#### SEAMLESS TRANSITION INTO THE:

#### TREASURER UPDATE

AM: Normally, if a show does make a loss, then people won't get show deposits, which is usually fine as it's only £5-10. However, I feel for Edinburgh it would be unfair as the deposits were so large, so can I take out of the show deposits enough to break even, and then divide the rest amongst the cast?

*Unanimous yes. Glorious monies.*

AM: I believe the only people left to give me receipts are Fliss and Aimee.

JM: What about house deposits?

SK: I will get in contact with them.

AM: We'll be fine to pay off the loan, but we need the money from C venues.

SK: I'll wait a week until they've moved back down, then ask them for the money.

AM: We'll pay the loan back in October is what I believe we said.

Discussion on Membership this year. This year, membership will allow to be involved in shows, perform in the cabaret and a discount(?) toward professional workshops.

SK: Funding results came through, and we got money for the keyboard stand, NSDF for all shows this year, and 2 of the workshops. We got no funding for Edinburgh travel as we don't have a show, nor funding for the keyboard as 4 societies have asked for it, so they're going to ask people to share, which won't work for us.

*Jamie asks about which workshops we got funding for, I throw a small tantrum and tell him to wait until the Workshop section as I've already had to shuffle so many of these conversations. I'm not very nice sometimes.*

**Andy will get swear monies from last year's committee to Angry. Angry will wait for people to send receipts and invoices for Edinburgh monies, and return remainders of deposits as appropriate. Sev will contact C Venues next week to get our monies from them, and the housing agents (?) to get our deposits back.**

## SOCIAL UPDATE

PJ: I'm really excited for the ball, I've booked the Grand Harbour Hotel and had a look, it's lovvvely! It's got like 4 rooms and lounge with a bar, and it's away from all the rooms so it's separate. I've been haggling so much, managed to get it down from £40 to £35, which includes a 3 course meal, live DJ and dance floor. I'll have to add more for the photographer and decorations. Mince pies, coffee, and party bags come with it too.

*PARTY BAGS?? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH EVERYONE IS NOW SO EXCITED FOR THIS  
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHPARTY BAGS EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY*

PJ: I've talked to Oli Crump about photography, and am planning to have both a roaming photographer and the standing, posed screen one. I will however need to pay the deposit by the end of October. I'm expecting 60-70 people. I also want to do some fundraising socials for it, is that ok? Like a t-shirt social and a Danny McNamee quiz?

*We all like t-shirts and Danny's infamous quiz nights. It's on.*

**Phoebe will continue doing her awesome stuffs with Christmas Ball preparations.**

#### DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

*As it is now the appropriate section, Sev tells Jamie that the 2 workshops we got funding for were Baby Wants Candy and Orpheus, not Showstoppers.*

JM: Ok so I applied for £80 for Orpheus, which might actually be free, so if it is that's extra moneys for cabaret!

#### WEB & PROMOTIONS UPDATE

CH: Bunfight videos will happen if people turn up, tomorrow is for most of you!

*Everybody checks what time they're filming, and stuff is sorted.*

CH: I suggest we film it in the secret garden if it's not raining, when you turn up know what you're gonna say, and choose a background song. And because I did the last one in such a rush to get all the information on it, I've been redesigning a new one over summer, do you wanna show it quickly Sev?

*Sev shows the website redesign, and we all collectively collapse in awe, wonder and disbelief at the sheer exquisite beauty of this new website home page. We now know what life is.*

**Committee will film their welcome meeting/Bunfight video thigns with Charlie, whilst he continues redesigning the website.**

#### ORDINARY UPDATE

Half of committee still need to pay Angry for their shirts, so she will do a post and pester people.

**Those who haven't already will pay Angry for their committee shirts.**

#### A.O.B.

PJ: I'm thinking of doing a joint social with the other theatrical societies, like Jesters or something?

*I scream internally as this is once again IN THE WRONG SECTION wahahahahahahah I cry.*

SK: And a freshers social!

PJ: My freshers social plan is a cowboys and aliens themed night out, then a joint social with TG later on when they know eachother more, which will involve taping people together for the night out. I want to do as many integration socials as possible so people get to know eachother more. I also want to do Playzone, a Zumba night, a white t-shirt social/quest night in jesters, and organise some theatre trips. Like Hairspray in the Mayflower, Book of Mormon in London, I'll try and organise them to get group and student discounts. I want to do pizza pyjama nights in the Annex too.

*This sounds like everything I've ever wanted my social life to be. One is forgiven.*

BW: I wanted to bring up the idea of having mentors for freshers that me and Sev mentioned in our AGM speech. In the Freshers show, there will be 25 people or so. There are 10 people in committee, so we could assign 2 or 3 people to each committee member as a point of contact.

*This idea is discussed. It is decided that the show liaison and Ordinary Members would be better suited to fulfil this role, especially as it won't overwhelm the new freshers with too many people, and the Ordinary Members will be able to mentor/look after/befriend unsuccessful auditionees who still want to be involved. The rest of committee will turn up to Footloose rehearsals on a semi-regular basis to integrate with the freshers too.*

*There is also talk of the SECRET CAST LISTS, which unfortunately never came to fruition in this past year. Phoebe and Ben, as the young Broadway starlet and dashing bridegroom, shall assume these duties.*