

Minutes from Showstoppers' Committee Meeting

7th January 2015, After the EGM in 34/5007

Expected

SK – Sevan Keoshgerian (President)
BW – Ben Willcocks (Vice-President)
AB – Andy Banks (Secretary)
AM – Angry Morgan (Treasurer)
JM – Jamie Martin (Development Officer)
CL – Cat Lewis (Tours Officer)
CHo – Charlie House (Webmaster & Promotions Officer)
LE – Lydia Edge (Ordinary Member)
DM – Danny McNamee (Ordinary Member)

Apologies & Absences

PJ – Phoebe Judd (Social Secretary) – Apologies (Deadline)
JH – Jess Hector (Development Officer) – Apologies (Ill)

Non-Committee Present

AS – Andy Sugden
CHy – Catherine Hyde
GT – Gem Tunley

Munch Duty

Andy

Agenda

I. SMALL UPDATE

LE: YOU'RE ALL MEANT TO KNOW YOUR LINES!

Gem knows hers, Sev doesn't.

CHy: Andy and Lydia, would I be able to have a lighting script at some point, so I can start plotting stuff for you?

AB: Yep, I shall do that when I am at home!

Sev x 1

CHo: Yeah, the prod team work.

DM: Yeah, the cast work, I might pop in tomorrow to see who's learnt their lines and if they're being punished appropriately!

II. MAIN UPDATE

BW: Alex took charge of rehearsal on Tuesday, and changed some choreography but it looks good, the cast are putting lots of effort in.

GT: We did the singing, I taught I Hope I Get It, got it done, and it sounds pretty. Only 4 more songs to teach and then I'm done.

AB: Production-wise, we've got started drafting some artwork, started looking for sponsorship and planned several costume things that we need to check first, as well as a costume call on Saturday.

BW: Jess dropped out of the Tempest as well, so she is now fully committed to us.

CHy: Can StageSoc have the tech specs by the end of exams please?

AM: I went into the last rehearsal of term to kind of have chat to cast, and there wasn't many prod team at the rehearsal, but I did a massive post on the production group. When I've finished exams, I'll find a rehearsal that's the best to go into.

GT: After exams, we have not many rehearsals in Company weeks, but we do have a rehearsal schedule, Kimberly will run rehearsals like recaps and do little bits and bops when we can.

III. SUMMER UPDATE

AS: Hello, yeah, so towards the end of last term we got a cast. Over Christmas, we have drawn up rehearsal schedule, which we need to still sort out with Chorus Line.

CHy: Our schedule's also got 2 weeks off really for Chorus Line, and we don't really start until after Company. All our materials from Weinberger arrived a month early though!

HOW TO SUCCEED CAST LIAISON ELECTION

Ben vs. Danny vs. Cat

BW: I've never been a liaison, I love How to Succeed so much, I'd love to be a part of it, and a great way to do this would be being the cast liaison. I know everyone in the cast and prod team so I feel like I would really work well with them.

DM: I did the Into the Woods intensive week last year so I know how stressful it can be, was the cast liaison for Company and Dogfight as you had no one else to do it and it's something I wanted to do so you owe it to me, I really like the prod team.

CL: I've done the cast liaison role a few times before, I saw the show in Edinburgh in my first year, so I know what the cast will be doing over next few months, and it would be nice to help them with stresses around exams and dissertations around Easter-time.

Danny is voted in as the Cast Liaison for How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

IV. RESULTS OF EGM

Independent Shows are now an official possibility, they are in the Constitution.

Update of constitution with it in published on group.

LE: It could be worth making a separate document to say other helpful things about Independent Shows that aren't necessarily in the Constitution?

AM: We can't say much yet, it'll be as were going along that well know what needs to go in that.

Committee will make an event for Edinburgh & Independent Pitches on 27th January. We will also encourage independent and Edinburgh teams to come to Angry for budgeting stuffs before the pitch.

V. DEVELOPMENT & WORKSHOPS UPDATE

JM: It's a new dawn of workshops! Baby Wants Candy is going to happen, but we're still deciding on a date for it. We got £200 funding for Gecko, which along with the Footloose NSDF and Orpheus should be ok, I'll get on that tomorrow. Cabaret, I don't think we'd decided on a date yet, which we need to do.

Jamie will continue to arrange Baby Wants Candy and Gecko workshops. He will also start preparing for Semester 2 workshops, 2pm Wednesday afternoons. Spring Cabaret shall now be on 9th March.

VI. EDINBURGH UPDATE

CL: Edinburgh pitches are 27th January. I went to TG Committee on Monday, and now there is an FAQ document on Showstoppers page. We are looking at a provisional meeting date of 23rd January.

GT: We'll get an hour for people from Chorus Line to go over.

CL: Ruthie and I are meeting Sunday after the Company costume call to talk about Edinburgh feedback and what changes could be implemented following it, the biggest one of which is whether C Venues still the best way to go.

AM: On the FAQ document, it said about not doing an actual budget but coming with a list of costs to committee?

CL: I think the idea for that was for people who hadn't made a budget before.

AS: It's the way TG do things because the income from Edinburgh is so variable and unfixed.

CL: So we can still try it, I'll send people your way for Edinburgh costs.

AM: Also I worked out that whether to go through C Venues, we would need to see if we could get 2 shows for 1 venue kind of deals?

CHy: I've got a 10 page document from the Gone Rogue Productions Facebook page, of all the different deals C Venues would have given us, but we didn't get because of various reasons.

AM: I tried to work out the costs if we'd only taken up 1 show and it was righted, I tried to work out how much fundraising we would have got from 1 show and how much other costs would have been, and I think it made £1000 loss. I took all the unexpected costs and put those on to it, basically ignoring Cooper's Hubbub, and it was making £1000 loss, even with £2000 fundraising which was a lot.

C venues weren't brilliant for us when we were there, but the C pass is needed for Edinburgh to be worthwhile for our members.

CHy: I think Strawberries paid £2000 less than Dogfight because of their smaller venue, C too is very expensive, and we also got lots of money from the grant from the uni.

AM: When I compared ticket sales to venue hire, Dogfight made more than Cooper.

GT: We came close to selling out on few nights.

CL: Also, last time we held pitches, we tried to implement some changes in the pitching process, if there's any feedback on those pitches and how they went, could you get them ready for our next meeting?

Angry will contact Catherine Hyde to get the Gone Rogue C Venues offers list, and continue looking into Edinburgh finances. Jamie and Angry will compile their pitching feedback for next meeting.

VII. TREASURER UPDATE

AM: I did that template that I put on the group, I don't mind whether we use that for pitches or not. I have finally paid off the radio mics, but am still waiting for cheques with the right names on from C Venues to get our money back. We got funding for Gecko, and that's it. LOpSoc applied for half of the keyboard and we applied for all of it, so SUSU have said if we could rearrange and ask for half the keyboard cost, they might give that to us.

GT: You need to talk with Jeremy about when rehearsals are.

LOpSoc have a keyboard, so do we...

GT: That means we do have 2 keyboards?

Sev will speak to Jeremy Hunt about why we didn't go for sharing the keyboard, and where to go from here. We will apply for half the funding for a keyboard and pay the other half ourselves, if we can.

VIII. SOCIAL UPDATE

Phoebe's not here, but we shall ask her if a Pancake Social could happen next meeting.

IX. WEB, PROMOTIONS & TECH UPDATE

CHo: I've made the website not Christmas anymore.

Sev will talk to Becky Griffin about keyboard money and about Dan Wills not having paid us his accommodation money for Edinburgh (leaving us £375 out of pocket).

X. ORDINARY UPDATE

DM: We checked our emails, and we had one from Bella Norris; she wanted to know where the footloose auditions were!

Well, at least she found her way to our glorious society in the end!

XI. A.O.B.

CHo: The Constitution has been updated and is now online.

JM: Is it worth having someone being an Independent Officer, like the Tours Officer?

Noooo, this responsibility shall be given to the Ordinary Members.

AM: When is our next committee meeting going to be?

Next committee meeting will be on 21st January.

AB: Because I have generally been awful at uploading things either to the committee group or onto the main page from there, I'm implementing a Late Minutes Jar, with me paying £2 every day the minutes are late. The committee group deadline will be the following Friday midnight, and the main page deadline will be the following Sunday midnight.

Jamie x 2

SWEAR TALLY

Sev x 1

Jamie x 2