



Showstoppers Committee Minutes

<u>Attendees</u>	<u>Minutes in a Minute!</u>
<p>VHA - Victoria Howard-Andrews (President)</p> <p>PA - Phoebe Armstrong (Vice President)</p> <p>GPV - Gaby Puleston-Vaudrey (Secretary)</p> <p>JW - John Wilders (Treasurer)</p> <p>AR - Antigone Robertson (Social Sec)</p> <p>NO - Nick Ong (Webmaster)</p> <p>OJ - Oliver Johnson (Development)</p> <p>ZB - Zoë Blackall (Development)</p> <p>AW - Alex Wareham (Ordinary Member)</p> <p>BM - Ben McQuigg (Ordinary Member)</p>	<p>The Trail to Oregon: Feedback form will be out soon.</p> <p>Legally Blonde: Auditions are happening now!</p> <p>It Shoulda Been You: Auditions are next week.</p> <p>Sweeney Todd: Audition dates are booked.</p> <p>Treasurer: Rights for Sweeney Todd have been paid for.</p> <p>Social: Keep an eye out for a Charlie Brown social next Thursday!</p> <p>Development: The audition workshop was a success!</p> <p>Web: We will be looking at getting a shared society camera.</p> <p>Ordinary: New kinds of society clothing are on the way.</p> <p>AOB: Showstoppers' LinkedIn is coming next week!</p>
<p><u>Apologies</u></p> <p>JC - Josiah Chamberlain (Social Sec)</p>	

The Trail to Oregon:

PA: Not much has happened since last week, we're still in the process of closing the budget.

AW: I've done the feedback form, so I'll get that out and see that feedback rolling in.

TTO PROD TEAM to close budget. AW to send out feedback form.



Legally Blonde:

AW: Auditions start today!

AR: We thought about gender swapping a character, the rights company have said it's fine - would that be okay?

VHA: Yes.

AW: And we've also been given permission to gender swap other minor characters in the show.

AR: Auditions on Saturday - EG currently can't make them. We were planning on recording all of the auditions if that's okay.

NO: Just don't forget.

VHA: Will he be there for the discussion?

AR: Yes

PA: Will there be enough time to watch all of the videos and then have the conversation?

AW: We've said the callback list will be up very late on Saturday, but we're hoping he will watch the videos JC says we are deliberating on first, and then hopefully all of the others as well, depending on time.

NO: Let me know when your list is ready - I can do a nice graphic if you'd like? Just let me know.

AR: Tech rider is done, not last week.

PA: You have plenty of time, don't worry.

AW: Also, is it possible to have a door going backwards instead of forwards?

BM: No, there's not enough room backstage.

AR: IB is going to start emailing about sponsorship.

NO: Have you posted the event in halls groups?

AW: Not yet.

LB PROD TEAM to record auditions, to communicate with NO regarding the callback list, and to post auditions event in halls groups.

It Shoulda Been You:

JW: Auditions are next Wednesday, everything is ticking along, we will make sure callback material is sorted before auditions. We might want to potentially gender swap Albert, to base on auditions, but MTI said no - we could cast a female but the character must remain male, so we're going to keep it as a male part.

ISBY PROD TEAM to continue to organise audition and callback material.

Sweeney Todd:

BM: We've liaised with Small Show about some audition dates.

PA: They will be Tuesday 16th 6-10, Wednesday 17th 4-10, Saturday 20th 5-9, and we will publish these at the end of It Shoulda Been You auditions. We paid for rights yesterday, just waiting for confirmation.



ST PROD TEAM to publish audition dates after October 15th.

Treasurer:

JW: Getting payments in from people for stuff, and paid £500 for the Sweeney Todd deposit.

JW to continue chasing payments.

Social:

AR: We did a social yesterday which was fun - we had a fair amount of freshers. We will sit down soon to organise stuff for the rest of the term.

GPV: Have we worked out if we're going to do a Charlie Brown screening social?

AR: Next Saturday?

PA: We could do it next Sunday evening?

VHA: It's probably best to find a different day because of callbacks.

JW: What kind of social would this be?

VHA: Watching Charlie Brown.

AR: It might be good on Saturday not early but earlyish as we'll be having a rehearsal so then we can take the freshers from the rehearsal straight there.

GPV: I guess just liaise with ISBY about their schedule.

JW: Yes, we're doing callbacks on the Sunday.

VHA: It might be better to do it as a weeknight, non-drinking, Thursday social. I know you're doing your cast social next week, but for those who don't get cast, it'd still be a nice opportunity for them to come and hang out.

GPV: Then there's also an opportunity for people to see a Small Show before deciding if they want to audition.

AR: When are ISBY auditions?

JW: Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

GPV: So we could do Thursday after committee?

PA: I could book out EdLec?

AR: That sounds good to me. As it's a social is it free?

AW: As a NSSC?

VHA: Yes, as we have no Tours Officer and are behind on releasing our shows, which is restricting people from using them as a tool to review themselves before auditions this year.

BM: Does that mean we're releasing all of them now?

VHA: No, but we're going to host events as they come.

PA: Would this be the 11th?

BM: Yes.

NO: Could we sell some tuck at this?

VHA: Yes.

AR: So this is next Thursday? Does 7pm work?

AW: Probably best to do 7:30 because of committee?

AR: Yes okay. Also, we're going to do a low-key Scoops social for the cast of Legally Blonde on Monday.

NO: Is that filling up a rehearsal slot?



AW: We weren't having a rehearsal that day anyway as we wanted to give people a chance to rest after callbacks.

AR and JC to organise CB social in EdLec at 7:30pm on Thursday October 11th. ALL COMM to organise selling tuck at social. LB PROD TEAM to organise cast and crew social on Monday 8th October.

Development:

ZB: We're going to make a plan for the next few weeks tomorrow.

OJ: The audition workshop was a success - the freshers all seemed hyped - and all of committee were there!

NO: I could do a graphic design workshop if you'd be interested?

ZB: That would be cool!

PA: I don't know if you put in any applications for funding for workshops, but just so you're aware we're not sure yet when information regarding funding will be released. I'm also aware that TG put in a funding application for a joint workshop, but as Showstoppers didn't also apply as we weren't aware, it is looking unlikely we will get any joint funding. Therefore, are you okay financially regarding workshops without funding?

ZB: We're good. We put in one application, which we haven't heard about yet.

VHA: I've not had any feedback on it yet, but I'll keep you updated.

ZB and OJ to make a plan for upcoming workshops, including exploring the idea of a graphic design workshop with NO.

Web:

NO: I've sent the newsletter out. I left the joint society camera at our house over the summer, so both societies could access it, but we don't know where it's gone.

BM: A camera has appeared in the SUSU TV studio. I've not looked at the SD cards, but I will do.

PA: I took the SUSU TV equipment back over to the studio from ours so it may have been taken over then.

NO: Great, if we could look into that as soon as we can, that would be great. Also, regarding Facebook messaging on the page - several of us have admin access. In previous years just the Webmaster would reply, but I'm fine with other people replying, just please put your name. Not everyone has admin access, as only certain people need it. I wanted to bring this up though as I think either all of us need to have access so everyone can reply to messages, or it should go back to being just the Webmaster and President. What are people's thoughts about it?

BM: From experience, it gets messy once you add everyone.

PA: Yes.

ZB: Often I don't know the answers to the questions anyway.

AW: Yes, I'm often asking questions myself.

AR: I wasn't sure at the beginning, and then people started asking questions about auditions, so I thought I would be a good person to answer. Also, with situations like yesterday when we had someone asking if anyone was at Stags yet for the social, I



could say I was on my way, which is information you might not have known, so in those cases it's maybe helpful that we're all allowed access.

PA: I think that, as everyone has email addresses and they are very easy to find, plus we all have access to our emails on our phones, it should be the people that need admin access that have it (i.e. development, social, webmaster and president).

NO: So that's what it currently is - so are you saying these people should also reply to messages?

PA: Well if it's about a development issue, like about a workshop idea, or if someone is asking what the plan is for a particular social, then it's common sense. For example, if someone asked something very specific about a role that didn't have admin, you wouldn't answer that straight away, you'd speak to the person in that role first. If it's your area in committee, then respond.

VHA: It is just a case of using common sense - if a message comes in about workshops, and it's not been replied to in over a day because you haven't seen it, then we can just message you personally, and then you can reply.

ZB: If I accidentally open them, do you still get a notification?

NO: Yes.

VHA: I check the page regularly anyway just to make sure we haven't missed any.

NO: The reason they all have admin is mainly to do events, but I do think this is a good way to do things going forward.

ZB: So are we meant to reply if it is about development?

NO: Yes.

AR: And we should sign our name at the end?

NO: Yes, please do.

PA: Yes, DM used to do it. Oh I miss Dave.

NO: Finally, the idea about having another film camera - how do we feel about it financially?

BM: We won't get funding.

NO: No, but in terms of buying it out of the money we and TG have, as when we last spoke about it we said we would discuss it again after the summer.

VHA: I think we need to discuss it after Gone Rogue discussions have happened, but obviously this is a conversation that needs to take place between the societies and also between you and JW. It would be cool though, as then we don't have to rely on connections we have with other societies regarding video equipment.

NO: Or be limited to using equipment that doesn't work properly like with cabaret.

JW: How much money are we talking roughly?

NO: For an entry-level camera, £250 for the unit itself, shared across societies.

PA: I think it will in reality be too expensive for everyone.

BM: For something that will last and is good quality, it's going to be no cheaper than £500-£750.

NO: Yes, £250 was sort of the minimum.

BM: Even £500 isn't too bad between societies though.

VHA: This conversation needs to happen after Gone Rogue budgets have been closed.

NO: Would it be worth, in order to reduce monetary pressures, getting other PA societies involved?



PA: The issue is that their needs are different to ours.

VHA: They don't need to use it as regularly as we do.

JW: When the discussion happens, we need to weigh up how much use each society will get out of it.

NO: But the general vibe is that it's generally a good idea?

PA: On paper I think it's a fantastic idea!

NO: Yes, it's just a case of whether it is viable financially, for both us and other societies. £250 would be an okay amount?

PA: It massively depends on the situation after Gone Rogue discussions.

JW: Definitely.

BM: I can get you a list of potentially well-suited cameras?

NO: That would be great thank you, as I'm not an expert.

BM: I'll find some models for you.

BM to look into location of Showstoppers' camera. ALL COMM to sign names in response to messages on the page. NO and BM to look into shared camera with TG after Gone Rogue discussions.

Ordinary:

AW: The feedback form for the TTO is done. Pitch feedback is just waiting for approval before I send it to the respective prod teams. Society clothing will be done soon - talking to ZB and SH about it as they have lit ideas.

ZB: Start saving your pennys!

BM: Will compile society feedback now we've had it all.

AW to send out pitch feedback, and to consult with ZB and SH about society clothing. BM to compile society feedback.

AOB:

OJ: Gaby, when you initial people in the minutes, could we also have a list of who they're referring to please? Just it gets a bit confusing otherwise!

GPV: Of course, sure!

PA: We need to rewrite a bit of the constitution (6.13), as it doesn't make sense - it says that every officer on committee that shares a position, also shares their vote - so they get half a vote each. This means each pair has to agree on their vote.

VHA: Which ruins the concept of voting.

PA: So, with this part of the constitution, we will never have quorum, so I propose that we scrap that at the next AGM, but just wanted to make you all aware of it now.

GPV: I have two bits of AOB! Firstly, I was meant to say this during the Treasurer Update sorry, but have we had the van deposit back yet?

JW: We've had part of it back.

PA: We shouldn't be getting it back yet, as it was booked on the 9th and it hasn't been a month yet.

GPV: Ah okay, that's cool! Just it was brought up last week and said it wouldn't be long then. My second bit of AOB is regarding a lovely message I had from KB, that she hasn't been credited for being AP for a show, and when I went to have a look, neither



had AbR. There's no rush, it's just something that she had noticed in passing, and it would be really lovely if we could get that up there for her.

NO: Could you get that to me in writing?

GPV: Sure, it will be included in the minutes anyway. Is there anyone else that should have been credited?

PA: Not for that show.

OJ: There are another couple of rogue things on the website - I think it still lists JC for guitar for AI, instead of RM.

NO: That was done by Dave, so if there are any discrepancies you notice let me know. Also, I still need to do the TTO.

PA: Also, can we link the reviews for the TTO to the page?

NO: Yes sure.

PA: They would be really nice to show off.

BM: They'd also be good for personal applications too, and why I asked to have the banner changed.

NO: Sure. So what was JC's role?

OJ: AMD.

BM: Also there's a show where you can drop me from MD to AMD, and I'll get you any missing band lists *[for the 24]*.

PA: I've not heard anything back from Southampton Sight, and I still need to get onto JM's play.

VHA: Next week, on the 9th, there is StageSoc Health and Safety.

PA: You have to go if you're a member of committee.

VHA: I'll do a post on the committee group.

GPV: What time is that?

VHA: Normally around 6pm/7pm, but there's an event so I'll share that with you.

PA: It's just an insurance thing, and so statistically there will be someone who has done H&S training who is involved in every part of Showstoppers, so we have to do it as a legal thing. And it's really fun - you see lots of power tools!

VHA: It's 6pm in the Annex.

NO: Next week I'll launch the Showstoppers LinkedIn, because it would be good to have our own network.

PA: Also, there's a website called Encore, and you sign up as a performer and it tells you about paid performing gigs for things like weddings. I am a member on that website, but it would be really helpful if Showstoppers was an organisation on that website.

NO: I had a similar email a couple of weeks ago from some guys who are creating a start up doing something very similar but for production, such as for directors etc. I've contacted them regarding what commitment this would involve on our part, but it seems like it would be good for people who want to go into the industry after uni, so I'll let you all know what happens with that.

GPV to provide list to committee regarding initials included in the minutes. ALL COMM to be aware of proposed constitution change for the AGM regarding 6.13. NO to update website to include missing credits and the TTO. NO to link the TTO reviews on page. ALL COMM to attend Stagesoc Health and Safety Training on Tuesday October 9th at 6pm in The Annex. NO to launch Showstoppers' LinkedIn,

October 4th 2018



and to look into setting Showstoppers up as an organisation on Encore and production startup.