

Showstoppers Committee Minutes

Attendees

Vice-President: Alex Wareham [AW]

Secretary: Patrick Riley [PR]

Treasurer: Maciek Shasha [MS]

Social Secretary: Beth Mitchell [BM]
Social Secretary: Will Fieldhouse [WF]

Development Officer: Hannah Maskell [HM]
Development Officer: Imy Brighty-Potts [IBP]

Web and Promotions Officer: Chloe Taylor [CT]

Welfare Officers (OM): Emma Frazzitta [EF]
Welfare Officers (OM): Ollie Johnson [OJ]

Original Writing Officer: Susie Clark [SC]

APOLOGIES:

President: Antigone Robertson [AR]

Tours Officer: Kit Hobbs [KH]

NON-COMMITTEE:

Katie Staines [KS]

OTHERS MENTIONED IN MINUTES:

Josh Perriman [JP]

Paris Matthews [PM]

Jack Nash [JN]

Phoebe Armstrong [PA]

Rory Dick [RD]

Minutes in a Minute



O.A.P and Me:

Antigone to do audition feedback
Emma to collate show feedback

Songs for a New World:
Kit to compile show feedback

Made in Dagenham:
Patrick and Chloe to push Be More Chill event

I Love You Because:
Show and prod liaison to be elected

Be More Chill:
BMC audition event to be promoted by committee

Treasurer:
Maciek to receive SUSU money for membership and funding applications

Social Secretaries:
Beth and Will to sort out Les Mis event
Beth and Will to sort out Christmas ball

Development Officers:
Imy and Hannah to book cabaret

Web and Promotions Officer:
Chloe to continue to update the website

Tours Officer (Other Tours):
No Update

Welfare Officers:
Emma to post society feedback in the committee group for approval

Original Writing Officer:
Susie to liaise with development about workshops

AOB:
Hannah and Alex to liaise with SUStrings with on a collaboration event
Committee to have a discussion about Edinburgh

Society Update:

No Society Update

O.A.P and Me:

PR: Audition feedback.

CT: EF's doing OAP show feedback so can we fill that in.

EF to collate show feedback soon.

Songs for a New World:

PR: I think it's just the budget and the show feedback.

AW: Did they do audition feedback?

OJ: Yes there shall be feedback.

PR: KH's not here so feedback will be given out when he's back.

PR: This is a phat packet of strawberry laces.

MS: Budgets been done for weeks, just waiting on feedback.

KH to come and present show feedback.

Made in Dagenham:

PR: Our cast is great and we've been rehearsing.

IBP: The liaison session was very good.

PR: Welfare came in, said hi and pushed merch.

CT: We'll also sort out some admin stuff but most of it is up-to-date. We want to make sure our cast know about the rehearsal process a bit more especially after the liaison session. They didn't understand what intensive week was.

IBP: They've now been made aware that leniency goes both ways.

AW: Can we push Be More Chill auditions.

PR: Yeah we've been pushing it and we will say something again on Saturday.

PR and CT to push BMC auditions event.

I Love You Because:

MS: We have a cast. We're printing off material for anyone who wants it.

AW: Don't print mine off. I might be able to get an iPad.

MS: We were given sh*tte rooms so I've gone and rebooked our Saturday rooms.

AW: We need to elect a show liaison for ILYB.

PR: I'd like to be show liaison for small show because:

- I've never been show liaison before and I really want to do something new
- Being Tours Officer last year has given me experience in dealing with conflicts between cast, committee and prod teams
- Also, I know the cast and the prod team well but wouldn't take any sides
- I really want to be involved in small show this year in some capacity and want it to be a really good show

EF: I'd like to be show liaison for small show because:

- I'm not in a show yet so I have all the time in the world
- I'm welfare officer so it's my job to listen to all the beef
- As there's a new member of the society in the show I want to bridge the gap between committee and the cast

*(A DRAW BETWEEN EF AND PR HAPPENED SO SHOW LIAISON WILL BE RE-ELECTED WHEN FULL COMMITTEE IS AVAILABLE)
Show and prod liaison to be re-elected.*

Be More Chill:

KS: We don't have a cast.

AW: We have sign-ups for auditions.

WF: Auditions are next week.

AW: Keep pushing it. We want a phat cast.

BM: Morbidly obese cast.

Committee to push BMC audition event.

Treasurer:

MS: I think NatWest have 2 more days from when they said they were going to pay us.
SUSU owe us money for memberships and the funding applications which is nice.
I've told KH that he can go ahead and buy stuff now.

AW: Has everyone on committee paid membership?

KS: You'll never guess what I'm doing now.

HM: I don't really know where we're at but do prod teams have to pay show deposits.

MS: Yes.

MS to receive SUSU money from memberships and funding applications.

Social Secretaries:

BM: I have a list. It's 3 points. If you're coming to Les Mis, pay by tomorrow.

WF: If you want to message us and try and arrange something with us that's fine.

AW: have you posted that in the event?

BM: We have a groupchat. Also, we're sorting the Christmas ball. We've realised we can get a contribution from you.

MS: We'll should talk in private later.

BM: We're sorting out the freshers/small show bowling social.

WF: We've gauged enough interest now. The poll will be going up in a few days to see what theme people want to do for the PA Halloween social.

BM and WF to sort out Les Mis tickets for the society.

BM and WF to talk to MS about a contribution for the Christmas ball.

BM and WF to sort out inter-show social.

WF to put up a theme of costume poll for the PA Halloween social.

Development Officers:

IBP: We f*cked up today soz. Quite frankly, we didn't read the minutes and PR has already

b*llocked us for it.

MS: I think Hobbit was shut down last week.

*(*Run down of last weeks development update given to development officers*)*

HM: okay, we'll get on and book Bar 2 for the 11th December.

PR: I've just looked on the room booking system and the whole week is fully booked for Winter graduation.

AW: The Nuffield lecture didn't have a great atmosphere but it worked and we'll probably

get more people turn up this time which will help.

SC: We can decorate it.

PR: Could we get the Annex because it's scheduled for maintenance that whole week?

IBP: That's not a bad shout.

CT: I'll message JP. *(*Update: Yes to Annex cabaret and roughly £35 hire for the day*)*

IBP: We've got workshops lined up for the next couple of months.

AW: Yeah, just remember that you have to turn up unless you've got a genuine excuse. I had a wonderful time and I wasn't even a dancer. Workshops are fun.

IBP and HM to book cabaret at the Annex.

Web and Promotions Officer:

CT: MID and ILYB cast is up. SFNW have got their band one. The MID one isn't compatible and I'm waiting on an ILYB one.

MS: Sorry.

CT: Any prod team changes can I officially know MS?

MS: Yeah, we lost PM.

IBP+EF: Ask JN.

CT: If you know people send them to me too.

IBP: He's already asked the BMC prod team. I think he messaged you.

CT: He didn't but do get him to message me. Also, I need people to man the desk for me at auditions on Saturday because I need to be at MID rehearsals.

IBP: If I'm not needed for ILYB, I'll do it.

AW: Audition feedback for MID and ILYB?

PR: We did ours last week.

MS: I've almost finished it.

[CT to continue to update the website.](#)

Tours Officer:

[No update.](#)

Welfare Officers:

EF: I have society feedback.

(*EF reads Society feedback*)

AW: If we post it on the committee group for approval then it can get put on the Showstoppers group. What's people's thoughts on the feedback?

CT: I think it'd be good to try and include more freshers on prod teams as early as possible.

PR: IBP's already done it. Also, I think it's kind of us to tell them just to message the prod team directly because the only way I became AP on Sweeney was by messaging PA.

HM: We could get people to sign up their interest at the prod team workshop.

AW: I think most of these comments were made about last years committee.

PR: Yeah I think most of these things we've addressed and resolved now.

EF: Society clothing will be closed in about a week and a half but I'll give you a heads up.

[EF to post society feedback onto the committee group for approval.](#)

Original Writing Update:

SC: TG have had their EGM and RD is the new Original Writing officer, I'm going to meet with him soon. I think the next Original Writing workshop is going to be on Tuesday and I'll put an event up.

PR: I feel like we should discuss the compulsory nature of original workshops. With normal workshops, we're all here to do musical theatre and they'll always be workshops that I'm going to take things from but personally, I'm not interested in writing anything so I'm not sure how much use it is for me to be there.

SC: There have been workshops that haven't been useful to me but I've still gone to them.

PR: I think it's just because every workshop is original writing whereas the other workshops are so varied.

BM: How often are they?

SC: 1 hour every 2 weeks.

IBP: We might have a smaller workshop some weeks where we could have the first hour and then you have the second. That way it makes things a bit more low commitment.

OJ: I think we need to show support and you might learn something.

BM: What date is the workshop?

SC: Next Tuesday.

WF+BM: That's our bowling social.

SC: Socials have been on Tuesdays and Thursdays every week.

AW: I think it'll be good if you liaise with the development officers and have a workshop every other week.

PR: I really like the idea of that. I want to be there to support you (SC) but obviously it's already compulsory to go to workshops, socials, committee and we have degrees. I think adding an extra hour makes a big difference. When we signed up for the role, we didn't sign up for this extra hour as well so having it added in on Wednesday is perfect.

SC to liaise with HM and IBP about incorporating the Original Writing workshop into other workshops.

AOB:

SC: I've ordered myself some new glasses! (**Comm celebrate**)

MS: We broke £2000 for the first time in a while.

AW: We had a meeting with the president of SUStrings about having a joint concert similar to a cabaret but more professional. We thought it would be nice to hire out the Turner Sims hall for the concert and doing it just after summer show. We should probably try and apply for funding as a collaborative project. It's probably best if committee allocate songs and give them to SUStrings because there are only certain songs that will fit with a string orchestra. The ticket pricing would be similar to the pricing system of our shows.

CT: How will the audition or filtering process work?

AW: So it will be done like a Cabaret more as a sign up sheet and get committee to filter it and see what's viable with a string orchestra.

CT: So would people come to us with the songs or do we post songs and ask people to perform them?

AW: I think we come up with them ourselves and find the people who would happily come

and sing them. We'd do this especially with the group numbers. There might be more flexibility with the solos or small group numbers.

AW and HM to continue to liaise with SUStrings on the collaboration concert event.

CT: We need to have a discussion about Edinburgh soon.

AW: Yeah, I don't want to have it today because we're missing our President and our Tours Officer. We need one soon though. If not next week, the week after.

Committee to have a discussion about Edinburgh.