

Showstoppers Committee Minutes

Attendees

WF - Will Fieldhouse (President)
CT - Chloe Taylor (Vice President)
JI - Joe Inglis (Treasurer)
EG - Ellen Goggin (Secretary)
BP - Bitsy Pout (Social Sec)
RM - Rhiannon Morgan (Social Sec)
JG - John Galbraith (Development)
ME - Millie Edwards (Development)
AW - Adam Wilson (Web & Promo)
TP - Tom Pearson (Welfare)

APOLOGIES:

NR - Nadia Raza (Welfare)

NON-COMMITTEE:

OTHERS MENTIONED IN MINUTES:

HB - Holly Barrett
FM - Freya Manson
AW - Alex Wareham
MS - Maciek Shasha
PR - Patrick Riley
ME - Molly Ellis
HM - Hannah Maskall

Minutes in a Minute



RENT:

Cast clothing to be collected

Freshers Project:

Poll to be made about
Online rehearsals

L5Y/ PIT Double Bill:

Show dates to be pushed back.
Liaison sessions planned

Treasurer:

Purchase of new camera to be considered.

Social Secretaries:

Social before exam week tbc

Development Officers:

Prod team role workshops to be sorted.

Web and Promotions Officer:

MT bracket returning.
Committee weeks still coming

Welfare Officers:

Tours Officer (Other Tours):

Dates for ILYB NSSC tbc

Original Writing Officer:

New OW script on it's way to committee

AOB:

Pitch dates being arranged

***This committee was conducted over a teams video call due COVID-19 restrictions

Society Update:

WF: HB wants to pitch a show so if we can find a good time slot to do that, they've suggested 20th-24th which isn't ideal since it's in exam week but I'm hoping we can find a slot everyone is free.

(*22nd has been proposed for pitches)

[Pitch date to be arranged](#)

RENT Update:

WF: We have the cast clothing now and we are waiting for people to pay before we give them the clothing. Have you given a list of people who have paid to FM JI?

Jl: Yes I have and she made a comment tagging everyone who hasn't which I think was very ballsy!

WF: I got a message from AW about cast clothing and it applies to a few other people who are no longer around to pick it up, and he was wondering if we'd be able to cover postage costs to send cast clothing. From looking at it it only applies to 2 or 3 people.

Jl: Yeah MS already asked so I'm happy to do that.

[Cast clothing to be collected](#)

Fresher's Project:

ME: JG and I were chatting earlier and we were going to carry on with online rehearsals because everyone was going to be back in Feb but even when they are back it doesn't look like we will be able to do in person rehearsals anyway. JG suggested doing a poll in the group to see if they want to do online rehearsals at all but then I thought if they didn't and things were busy with exams they could pick their own solos and video it like cabaret as we want to do something for the freshers and give them a chance to perform even if not in the original format that we planned.

CT: If you do it like a cabaret I'd say still try to do some form of group numbers just to get them learning harmonies a bit. Discuss it with your cast and see what suits them.

[Poll about switching to online rehearsals to be made.](#)

Last Five Years/Putting It Together Double Bill:

AW: We had a joint prod team meeting, so show dates were early February and we're pretty sure that is definitely not happening. So plan B is we've been moved to the same dates but in March. Then if that can't happen we have a couple contingencies in place like postponing further, just doing an online recording. We've put in so much time putting it together (*AW laughs at his own joke).

RM: We've decided that if there is going to be a show in the Annex there won't be a paid

annex audience and the only people watching will be stagesoc, the prod team and the prod and cast of the other show. And if we can't stream to Edlec then we will put more effort into making a good quality recording. PR and both prods teams are really passionate about making sure the casts get the opportunity to perform live, so we are hoping to take advantage of the fact that SUSU are really keen for getting performances in the bridge.

BP: I have a show liaison session with PIT on Saturday.

[Show dates to be pushed back. Liaison sessions planned.](#)

Treasurer Update:

Jl: I'll need to talk to PR about changes in budget now that double bill is changing.

WF: I guess if the plan is to change specifically to allow the double bill performances to be filmed it might be worth investing some money into a new camera like we were talking about.

CT: PR mentioned they are still going to be charging for live stream tickets so it should still fulfil the budget.

Jl: With the recorded ones you have to reduce the price and so then have some full priced ones in the annex were helping us out a bit, but now it doesn't balance.

CT: You have to reduce them? Why?

Jl: Because it's less of an experience.

CT: But if we get a good camera and two recordings, one for close ups and one for angles. And the audio we can get from the sound desk.

RM: We may even get more viewers because usually some family members can't make the journey to see it.

CT: PR said with the bridge performances you'll still get people asked to donate what they want towards it.

Jl: I'll speak to PR about it.

WF: I don't think you can use the multiple cameras for a live stream, you said it would improve the quality so the cost could be higher.

CT: No I mean for a streamed recording of it.

WF: Is that the plan? Because what I was told was that it would be two nights recording it then the third would be livestreamed.

CT: Yeah, but if we do a recording of it we may as well do a streaming of the HD recording of it.

WF: That might also be worth talking to PR about then Jl and their plan for that. I reckon freshers show could benefit from having another camera and most things we do could. I was going to speak to ME specifically as she said she is happy to help recommending in that area since she knows what she is talking about. I can always do that with you Jl?

Jl: If she gives us some recommendations we can then sit and look and some different ones.

Double bill show changes to be reviewed in budget. New camera to be looked into purchasing.

Social Update:

RM: Happy New Year!! We did a NYE social, I don't remember it that well!

BP: What do people want in the future?

EG: More online socials is the only thing we can do.

RM: Do we do any during exams.

WF: Not during exam weeks no.

CT: You could do some more chill ones like host a netflix party and watch a film together.

WF: If you do at least one before exams that is your usual online thing and make an event and invite people to it as even if it's not a structured event thing the more people there are the more enjoyable it will be. If you make an event with a couple days notice people may look forward to it more. Then after exams be as consistent as possible with them.

Social before exam week being organised.

Development Update:

JG: Before or after Christmas we were going to do a band workshop with ME which I'd still like to do. WE struggle to think that people will turn up I won't lie. And it is difficult to think of things that will work so if anyone has any ideas?

CT: I think especially since you guys are on the freshers prod team you should make a post on the group and ask what they would want to see from workshops as we need to start having some workshops soon. So see what they are interested in, older members will come to it and we all have to.

WF: Even simpler things of doing a games workshop it would be good to have a plan for something you can put on at a moments notice if we can suddenly be able to do in person workshops.

EG: There was a plan to do a workshop on prod team roles are you still thinking of doing that? And if you don't think there will be interest for something live you can do a video by people in the prod team areas on the different roles.

JG: I forgot about that so we will plan that as we need people for next year! One person who wanted to be an MD turned up to the workshop which is great so I think it is worth doing live ones.

EG: Live ones are great for the roles we need more detail on but I think a general video on the different roles would be good to throw as much information at the freshers as we can since we haven't been having face to face rehearsal with them.

RM: A suggestion that might save development time and a cool idea for a workshop you could get in touch with some alumni about doing, not even a workshop maybe even just some talks as I know there have been some people who have gone into the industry or into acting, even a Q&A.

JG: Yeah that could be cool. ME and I will assemble our ideas between now and exam time.

WF: If you work with the deadline of once we're done with exams and beginning the new term we are starting to put things on. The more consistent and available the are hopefully the more engaged people will get. Also it is a lot further along but Spring Cabaret is something to look for in the future but don't need to get started on that now. As people have been responding to them which is good.

[Prod team workshops to be organised.](#)

Web & Promo:

AW: Brackets will be coming back at a more accelerated rate now. JI committee week will be coming soon. Hope you enjoyed Countdown if you watched it, it was quite long but it was fun to do! Might try jeopardy in the future. Also the Dagenham video who has it?

WF: I have so I will send it to you. Countdown and those games could work well as socials too as you don't have to worry about recording it you just play it. Some of us recently even did a Pointless game which worked online and was quite easy to set up and it was fun.

CT: Yearbook! If you finish it you can publish it virtually to not worry about printing it.

AW: Yeah that's not a bad idea. It will be done shortly.

WF: Keep pestering till you get those photos then as soon as possible.

CT: There's also the showstoppers vine compilation. That's done now.

RM: I'm going to do a post about my committee day and I am going to do a live stream on Wednesday.

WF: How many more committee days are left in the pipeline?

RM: I think it's just me and JI.

AW: There's one slot but that comes under exam week so probably no point.

ME: I have such a good idea but I was waiting for lockdown to be over as I'd prefer it to be in person. Basically I wanted to do 73 Questions with the freshers, like TP did in the first lockdown, as a way of introducing all the freshers and get them to answer a few questions each. I wanted it in person but I might just send them the questions and get them to record themselves and then voice record myself over the top.

CT: You can video call them rather than send them the questions as that is how I did 'musicals explained'.

RM: You could even get them to have a family member follow them around doing the recording.

BP: The way CT did 'musicals explained' was good where you get them to record the video themselves but you are on a call to ask them the question.

WF: Or even just record the zoom call.

BP: Are we going to do more committee weeks now that we've all done one now (almost).

AW: The overall reception from committee hasn't been that great, everyone did very well but I don't know if committee as a whole is up for coming up with more ideas. Maybe I'm wrong maybe.

BP: I think we've done it well the first time I don't think we should try and force it again.

WF: I think if after exams we start doing more regular socials and workshops online then

put your energy into that.

BP: TP have you done a committee week yet?

TP: Mine is on it's way, just you wait!

BP: We all know without trying TP's is going to be the coolest as always.

WF: I haven't done a specific one but I've just collabed with JI now the extent at which I've invested in his. I even made a jingle!

[MT brackets returning! Committee Weeks still coming. Game shows could work for socials.](#)

Welfare Update:

TP: Hope you are all doing okay! I will probably make another post on the lockdown spele of "hope everyone is doing okay". NR has been in charge of society clothing so I don't know where that is at.

Tours Update:

EG: Do we have the recording for "I Love You Because"? Because then I can start planning a date for a NSSC after exams.

WF: I think MS sent me that so I will check.

[ILYB recording to be sourced.](#)

Original Writing Update:

JG: HM has sent me a script for her musical so we will have it to Committee by next week latest and once we have a verdict we can think about pitching from there.

JJ: Do we all read it individually or story time?

CT: Individually JJ. If you want to do a call with some people that's on you to do.

[New OW script on the way.](#)

AOB:

Nothing